Service Charges and Ordering
Service Charges The MassArray Genotyping service is charged on a per chip basis which covers reagents and consumables for iPLEX Gold assay (primer cost excluded). In the most ideal case, one chip can be used for 356 samples x 36 SNPs (max). Effective 1-Sep-2021
Commercial clients welcome, please enquire. For academic institutes or commercial clients outside of Hong Kong, an extra HK$ 500 (per payment transaction) handling fee is required if the payment is made by bank draft or telegraphic transfer. *IMPORTANT:* To qualify for HKU pricing, the investigator must be a regular employee of HKU AND payment must be made from an internal HKU financial account that qualifies for internal transfer. Overhead charge is required for all incoming external funding. Primer Cost Amount of primers required will depend on the number of samples. Typically ~60 bases (P1 & P2) and ~20 bases (P3) are sufficient to analyze 1 SNP for 20 sample plates. Additional extension primers will be required for more samples. Larger primer synthesis scale may offer cost savings and the Core will help identify the most cost effective plan after assay design and sample number are confirmed. High quality primers from validated oligo supplier are to be ordered via the Core in order to ensure downstream data quality. Oligo prices effective 1-Sep-2021
The price is inclusive of shipping and handling charges. For academic institutes or commercial clients outside of Hong Kong, an extra HK$ 500 (per payment transaction) handling fee is required if the payment is made by bank draft or telegraphic transfer. Please note that while the Core may assist in working out a rough estimated project cost, we cannot provide a quotation until the target SNPs are defined and assays designed, for the exact number of base is required to calculate the precise cost. 3 assay designs are included for each job order, i.e. the initial SNP list can be modified twice for re-design with no extra cost. If more than 3 assay designs are necessary, assay design fee will be charged. Please contact us for details. A HK$ 500 assay design fee will be levied should the assay design is not confirmed for proceeding within 3 months. Service Ordering Please submit service request through iLab.
Sample Quality Requirement
DNA samples MUST be:
- free of PCR inhibitors, e.g. heme (from blood), EDTA and salts
- pure without contamination of any other genomic DNA
- with A260/280 ratio between 1.7 and 2.0
- intact (~10-20 kb) as shown on 1% agarose gel with proper size marker
Upon completion of experiment, data undergoes quality control (QC) and review by our fully trained platform specialists.
User will receive an email containing 5 files:
- Plate check report (xls): quality check report for each experimental plate. Provides information such as call rate, number of SNPs passed or failed, and concordance check for duplicate controls and NTC.
- Genotype file (xls): lists all genotypes for each sample of each SNP with CPOS assay ID.
- Genotype rsNo (xls): lists all genotypes for each sample of each SNP.
- Assay design file (xls): updated assay design file with CPOS assay ID.
- Genotype transpose file (xls): lists all reformatted genotypes for each sample of each SNP.
Please secure your own copy of data. The Core will not be responsible to keep your data indefinitely.
Time for completion of service may vary depending on the number of samples submitted, number of assay groups to be done and the level of service demand at sample submission.
Turn-around time will be informed at time of sample submission.
Samples will be put in a processing queue as soon as the samples are all ready.
In case of unforeseeable delay, users will be contacted immediately.
Terms of Service
Please note that there are some limitations of every platform for different technologies. Below lists the possible factors which may lead to lower call rates for some assays.
- This platform incorporates high throughput technology, only one PCR condition is utilized which may not perfectly optimize all primers in a multiplex reaction.
- On rare occasions with some assays, the MALDI matrix (sample spot on a SpectroCHIP) may not form properly during nanodispensing affecting the application of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry.
Sample Quality Issues
There is a pilot check during sample processing.
If your samples failed in the pilot check, you will be notified and offered two options:
- continuation of the experiment with the consent of releasing the Core’s liability in final data quality
- termination of sample processing, in which the cost of pilot check will be charged
Samples, once processed, will be subjected to full service charge.
- The Core has no obligation for failure of experiments (e.g. contamination, genotyping error or low call rate) if users fail to follow the instructions given and/or provide insufficient information to our staff.
- Users have the responsibility to perform quality control on their DNA samples. The Core has no obligation for failure of experiments (e.g. contamination, genotyping error or low call rate) due to sample mix up and/or degradation of DNA samples.
- Users should follow the existing queue of MassArray genotyping service. Jumping queue is strictly prohibited.
- Further amendments of assay design are NOT permitted after the email confirmation of primer ordering is sent by users. Users are requested to submit a new job thereafter.
Leftover Samples and primers
- After the completion of the experiment, sample plates and primers will be kept for 30 days.
- Users are welcome to collect any leftover materials during this period, after which, they will be discarded without notification.
- Please contact platform specialist for pick-up arrangement.