(1) Sample Processing Laboratory
Location: Room 4-02 and 4-03, Hong Kong Jockey Club Building for Interdisciplinary Research (HKJCBIR)
For processing of specimens before storage. The sample processing lab is equipped with the following:
(2) Freezer Storage Room
Location: Room 4-01, 4-03 and Room 4-07, Hong Kong Jockey Club Building for Interdisciplinary Research (HKJCBIR)
Location: Room 3101, Hing Wai Centre
Maximum capacity is approximately 60 freezers.
The site has HKU WiFi setup and is furnished with the following systems:
(A) Storage Service
The Biobank offers 4 types of standard storage rental according to different user’s needs.
- Deep freezer storage at HKJCBIR is meant primarily to be temporary for accommodating samples collections and ongoing project needs. It is subjected to space availability with approval granted on a monthly basis. Users must agree to relocate freezers at their own expenses to Hing Wai Centre with one month’s notice.
- Plastic cryobox with 2D barcode label must be used for Rack rental. Special labels for ultra low temperature use are prepared by the Biobank. User is recommended to put the label on the box at room temperature, preferably when the box is new. If other box type is to be used, please contact us for further discussion. Users can purchase standard cryoboxes with 2D barcode labels from Biobank. Please refer to the charges page for prices.
- Freezer maintenance includes filter cleaning and coordination with backup freezer for defrosting (yearly or as requested).
- Users who rent floor spaces should be responsible for the logistics of their own freezer movement and maintenance, and any related-cost incurred.
- Emergency attendance service ensures a Biobank staff will be onsite to assist user during an emergency.
- Rack rental and liquid nitrogen tank storage rental for part of a month will be charged as a full month.
- Deep freezer rental (transient/long-term) and floor space rental for less than 2 weeks will be charged as 2 weeks.
(B) Sample Processing Service
There is no fixed service price for sample processing as different projects have different requirements. We are happy to discuss your needs on a project basis and estimate the cost based on resources required. In general, consumable cost will be fully recovered and labour cost is partially subsidized by the Faculty. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a meeting for discussion.
All services are subject to availability. Below rates are applicable to staff within the HKU Faculty of Medicine only. Other HKU staff please enquire through email: email@example.com Floor space rental at Hing Wai / HKJCBIR:
- HK$ 600 per month (freezer provided by user)* *Floor space rental for less than 2 weeks will be charged as 2 weeks.
Deep freezer rental at Hing Wai / HKJCBIR:
- HK$ 1,800 per month (freezer provided by Biobank)* *Freezer rental for less than 2 weeks will be charged as 2 weeks.
Rack rental at HKJCBIR:
- HK$ 180 per month (a rack for 25 cryoboxes of 2 inch height at -80°C) *Rack rental for part of a month will be charged as a full month.
Liquid nitrogen tank storage space rental at HKJCBIR:
- HK$ 60 per month (per cryobox of 2 inch height) *Rental for part of a month will be charged as a full month.
Sample deposit, retrieval or return at HKJCBIR:
- HK$ 160 per job request
- HK$ 12 per cryobox
- Project-dependent, please contact us
Cryobox Charges:Other charges:
- HK$ 950 Account set-up per Principle Investigator
- HK$ 60 per individual for FaceID registration
- HK$ 270 per hour for custom support (subject to availability of resources at time of request)
*Deep freezer storage at HKJCBIR is meant primarily to be temporary for accommodating samples collections and ongoing project needs. It is subject to space availability with approval granted on a monthly basis. Users must agree to relocate freezers at their own expenses to Hing Wai Centre with one month’s notice.
New User Please review information on this website and contact us for discussions. Existing User (P.I. registration completed) To move a freezer to Hing Wai Centre
- Submit service request “BK202 – Floor Space Rental (Hing Wai) / per month” through iLab
- Complete the FaceID registration form and make an appointment with us for face registration (if not already done)
- Obtain temperature monitoring probe from us and arrange probe installation
- Arrange logistics of freezer transport
- Contact HKU Security Unit (Room 310, Pao Siu Loong Building, 3917-2882) in advance during office hour to borrow the main entrance key
- Allow scanning of your face outside Hing Wai Centre Room 3101 to gain access to the site
- Install freezer at the assigned location
- Inform us upon completion of freezer and temperature monitoring probe installation
To deposit/retrieval/return boxes at HKJCBIR (for rack rental and liquid nitrogen tank storage space rental only)
- Submit service request “BK300 – Sample deposit / retrieval / return at HKJCBIR” through iLab
- Collect barcode labels from us for box deposit service (we recommend sticking the label to the box at room temperature to ensure the adhesion is tight)
- Attach box info file under service request in iLab
- Make an appointment with us
- Bring the boxes to us at appropriate temperature for box deposit/return service
*Only standard plastic cryobox with Biobank barcode label will be accepted
User of the Biobank must understand and agree to comply with the following usage terms:
- A concise description of the samples to be stored should be provided before depositing
- Appropriate containers should be used for sample storage
- Samples should be kept in closed tubes at all times, any leakage is to be treated as potentially infectious and should be decontaminated immediately by user’s ownself
- Sample tubes MUST NOT be opened within the premises of the Biobank premises
- Freezer must be locked except it is being accessed
- Freezers can only be used for sample storage. No food or drink is allowed
- Freezers should NOT be moved without approval of the administrators
- Users who rent floor spaces should be responsible for the logistics of their own freezer movement and maintenance, and any related-cost incurred
- Users are allowed to access the authorized freezers only but not the other equipment
- Any accident or damage within the Biobank premises must be reported immediately
- Keep the facility clean and tidy
- Water and ice must not be left on the floor and it should be mopped to prevent wet or slippery
- Items belonging to the Biobank (e.g. cryogloves, mops, ladder) must not be removed and should be returned to their original storage sites after use
- Only registered Biobank users can access Biobank. The principal investigator is responsible for the actions of his/her delegates
- A penalty will be imposed for user’s inappropriate behaviors and any damage caused
- The registered principal investigator is responsible for the charges, and payment will be deducted from a HKU internal account
- The registered principal investigator is responsible to inform Biobank of any change of user status
- Policies and charges for use of the facility may be revised from time to time
What Forms Do I Need?
Forms downloaded from below links contain fields for filling, but filling feature may not be supported by all web browsers.
If your browser does not support filling, you are advised to use Adobe Reader to fill-in the forms.
For users renting / owning whole freezer, you are free to access the site and your freezer anytime.
To ensure biological safety and site security, we must receive the completed and signed form from the P.I. before we would process users’ requests.
* To ensure the site security, we strongly suggest P.I. to deactivate the FaceID access of unauthorized person if necessary. Please submit service request for FaceID deactivation through iLab.
Dr CHAN, Agnes
Ms LAU, Tracy